Having a Vision Strengthens Belief in the Future MoAD will collaborate with various individuals and organization across Missouri to enhance opportunities for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to be active participants in their communities.
Goals & Objectives:
• Advocate for the rights of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing people in Missouri
• Provide public information regarding Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
• Advocate for the quality of Deaf education in Missouri
• Provide statewide and local workshops for the advancement of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing people
• Provide leadership training
• Host a biennial conference every odd numbered year
• Send Missouri Delegates to the National Association of the Deaf Conference on even numbered year
• Sponsor Miss Deaf Missouri Ambassador
• Sponsor Junior National Association of the Deaf and Youth Leadership Camp
Missouri Association of the Deaf
The mission of the MoAD is to preserve, protect, and promote the rights and quality of life of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing individuals in the state of Missouri, and to cooperate with the National Association of the Deaf for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing on the national level.
Priorities to focus on during 2015-2017 year:
1) EDHI & CEASED to improve with ASL materials as language exposure.
2) Interpreter In Professional Settings - should hire at least two Master license interpreters at medical settings and have CDI involved as well.
3) Police Issues: Cops should be familiar and have some training and learn sign language.
4) Legislative and VR Education: Update with today's trends and issues.
5) Advocacy for Deaf kids: Establish Big and Little Brother/Sister Program for Deaf kids.
What We Believe Determines How We Live
* Diversity: MoAD recognizes and appreciates ways in which all people are different.
* Collaboration: MoAD believes in sharing resources, ideas and support with others.
* Mutual Respect: MoAD shows and seeks recognition of worth from others.
* Equality: MoAD supports the principle that all people have an equal right to access to opportunities for services, education and employment.
* Self-Esteem: MoAD promotes pride in people who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing.